The Clichy factory operated for a short period between 1837 and 1885 when it merged with Cristallerie de Sevre. No trace of the factory or archives remain, which is one reason why their beautiful paperweights are rare and now sought after. The name Clichy has come a long way from its early years when it basically produced in expensive glass for export. It then started producing coloured and overlaid glass products in 1844. It was shortly after this in the latter part of that decade that Clichy began producing paperweights under Manager Rouyer and Maes. The Factory then prospered for a while as its non-leaded glass products were lighter and clearer than similar products from competing companies. The paperweights were produced from 1846-1857.
The high point for Clichy came in the London Exposition of 1851 when it showed a range of red, gold, yellow, black and blue glass together with its Filigree and Millefiori products. Maes was clearly the innovator for the company and Clichy started to decline following his death until it merged with Sevre.
The Paperweights are exquisite and Clichy became known for what is today called the Clichy Rose, which is a sought after cluster of canes usually with pink centres and surrounded by green sepals. These canes are either found on their own or more rarely in multiples in paperweights together with alternate cane designs.
We have a beautiful antique clear glass Clichy Paperweight in excellent condition which measures 8cms in diameter and 6 cms high and it has the benefit of a Clichy Rose cane. The price is £695
|Clichy Millefiori Paperweight||£695|